Have you noticed the pay-it-forward-like movement of nominating your friends to share fun-facts about themselves on their social media pages/stories and afterwards they nominate more friends to do the same? I’ve been nominated to share but more about that in a bit…
Firstly, I wanted to share some insights on why this fun-fact sharing seems to have gone viral on social media.
1. An opportunity to share what you normally would not share.
For many people including myself, we find it difficult to talk about ourselves, at least not in the way of disclosing details that seem irrelevant to anyone’s interest. We think only significant details are relevant like some milestone, achievement or accomplishment (ie. graduation, marriage, childbirth, career move), but not so much the little things. However there’s a hidden beauty behind recalling the little things that make us smile and chuckle (and maybe even cringe a bit), therefore generally bringing us nostalgic joy in some way even if small.
2. Social Media and it’s limitations of getting to know the real you.
We all know too well how social media can pressure us to only depict certain sides or angles for fear of lack of interest or acceptance. The pressures and expectations of social media is a bigger topic for another time but for now it is another reason why I think the fun-fact sharing was so well received. It’s a challenge and opportunity that says, “hey, we want to know more about you, the real you, not just what you look like or say on social media”.
So here goes for me, sharing a few facts in hopes you get to know me a bit better:
1. I am the youngest of 4 and the only Canadian-born daughter.
2. I can speak Cantonese.
3. I won the Athlete of the Year award when I was in grade 6.
4. I am deathly allergic to cats and horses.
5. I won a speed typing contest in high school.
6. I can sight-read music and play the piano.
7. I have a Degree in Business and majored in Accounting.
8. I am married to my high school sweetheart.
9. I watched the movie Titantic 10 times in theatres.
10. My best girlfriend is my 16 year old daughter.
If you haven’t already, I encourage you to also share-it-forward! The more we can encourage real-ness to come out the better. Afterall, it’s not often we feel comfortable surfacing from the social media boundaries and judgements so when we can, let’s go for it!
Shop the Post
I recently picked up this wrap/poncho from Urban Outfitters. It’s super versatile and easy to style. Throw on over any outfit for an extra layer to stay cozy!